Marwan Azzi is a partner in the New York office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher and a member of the firm’s Private Equity Practice Group. Mr. Azzi’s practice focuses on representing private equity houses, infrastructure funds and strategic clients on private, domestic and cross-border acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures, and co-investments. He has extensive experience in the infrastructure sector in the U.S. and Latin America and in cross-border M&A across Latin America.
Mr. Azzi is recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” for M&A and Private Equity in the United States by Euromoney (2020). He is also a recipient of a “40 under 40 Emerging Leaders Award” by The M&A Advisor (2018).
Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Mr. Azzi was a partner at White & Case LLP. He serves on the board of ABANA (formerly the Arab Banker’s Association of North America) as Secretary.
Mr. Azzi received his LLM from Boston University and earned his LLB from St. Joseph University (Lebanon). He is admitted to practice in New York and Beirut.
Mr. Azzi’s experience includes the representation of:
- Antin Infrastructure Partners, in its acquisition of Lake State Railway Company, a Michigan-based regional freight railroad.
- I Squared Capital in its:
- Acquisition of KIO Networks, a leading digital infrastructure service provider in Mexico.
- Acquisition of a 78% stake in Colombian port concessionaire Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Barranquilla S.A. from private equity firm Southern Cross Group and other investors.
- Acquisition of Star Leasing, a leading trailer lessor in the United States.
- Portfolio company’s (American Intermodal Management) merger with FlexiVan Leasing, the third-largest marine chassis provider in the US.
- Acquisition of an equity interest in Oleoducto Central, S.A. (OCENSA) from Advent International. OCENA operates the largest crude oil pipeline in Colombia.
- Sale of interests in Kendall Green Energy, a cogeneration facility in Cambridge, Massachusetts, to Veolia Energy North America.
- US$340 million add-on acquisition in Kallpa SA and Samay SA, two power generation plants in Peru.
- US$1.3 billion acquisition of IC Power’s Latin American and Caribbean businesses from Kenon Holdings Ltd.
- US$1.2 billion acquisition from Duke Energy of a portfolio of hydroelectric and natural gas generation plants, transmission infrastructure and natural gas processing facilities, totaling 2,300 MW in Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Guatemala, El Salvador and Argentina.
- UniSuper Ltd., as part of a consortium of investors, in the US$2.1 billion acquisition of a 50 percent stake in Transurban’s toll roads in the US. Transurban sold a 50 percent interest in its US toll roads located in the Chesapeake region, which was purchased in part by AustralianSuper, CPPIB and UniSuper.
- Sempra Energy on its:
- US$3.59 billion sale of its Peruvian businesses including its 83.6 percent in Luz Del Sur to China Yangtze Power International (Hongkong) Co., Limited. The transaction was named “M&A Deal of the Year” by China Business Law Journal in 2020.
- US$2.23 billion sale of its Chilean businesses, including its 100 percent stake in Chilquinta Energía S.A., to State Grid International Development Limited (SGID). The transaction was named “M&A Deal of the Year” by China Business Law Journal in 2020.
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ) on its US$500 million minority investment in Mexican pharma business Sanfer.
- Vale S.A. (NYSE: VALE), a Brazilian mining company and the largest producer of iron ore and nickel in the world, in its $550 million acquisition of Ferrous Resources Limited, a mid-sized iron ore company also located in Brazil.
- Blue Water Energy LLP’s portfolio company in a joint venture with NextEra to develop, operate and market mobile and onsite gas liquefaction technology in the US market.
- Pernod Ricard SA, the world’s second-largest distiller, in its acquisition of Rabbit Hole Spirits, LLC, a US premium bourbon brand.
- Dominus Capital, L.P. a private equity firm based in New York, in the sale of W.F. Taylor, LLC to Meridian Adhesives Group. Taylor is a leading specialty flooring adhesives and sealants manufacturer with operations in Dalton, GA and Fontana, CA.
- GE Energy Financial Services in its acquisition of 49 percent of EGPNA Renewable Energy Partners LLC from Enel Green Power SpA. The partnership has assets in North America with 760 MW of generating capacity.
*Includes representations prior to Mr. Azzi’s association with Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher.